Saturday 2 October 2010

Looking for 1940's/1950's clothes

After visiting Winston Churchill's old gaff  "Chartwell"  today I have been fantasising about wearing more 1940's/1950's clothes.  I really like the style, it is simple and feminine. 
At a recent friend's wedding I bought a 1940's inspired dress from a charity shop and teamed it with seamer tights and a faux flower which I wore behind my ear:



My poor old sister had a time taking any photo of me that was half decent because at this point I had had two glasses of Pimms and thus was feeling a little silly!  But I think you get the gist.

So now I am inspired to buy more 1940's style clothes and have been scouring the internet to see what I can find.

Found this website vivienofholloway which has some pretty cool stuff, but it is a bit pricey:


Turquoise Blue FloralNavy Anchor 

Then of course there is ebay which has come up with some pretty cool finds:


Cute Blue Spot print Tea Dress Inspired by 50's Vintage

SIMPLY BE PinUp 50s PolkaDot Tea DRESS Size 12-28 BLACK

But the Ebay is always a risk I feel, especially with clothes and not knowing the size and whether it can be returned.   Anyone have any ideas for good places to buy 1940's style clothes?  I think if I am really to pull of the 1940's style I will need to lose some weight...

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog today while looking for 1940's clothing too! I saw some photos in an old mag and thought how lovely the women looked. I felt quite drab in my jeans and shirt! No idea where to start...I'm well built too, but curvy looks nice in 40's clothing, I always think! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading people's comments on what I have written, but I am not in the business of debating, this blog is my space, so if you can't say something nice, the please, don't say anything at all. If you don't like what I have written then please don't read it.