Tuesday 21 December 2010

Winter Solstice

Today is the shortest day of the year!  That means spring is on it's way.  This makes me feel very happy and optimistic because I am one lover of spring and summer, the winter months can really get me down, I am fantasising already about the spring, planting seeds, getting to the allotment, spring cleaning and a summer oF sipping wine in the garden and walks on the beach and digging up home grown fruit and veg and, and, and...
After today we will have more minutes then hours of daylight in out lives, this got me thinking about Jesus and how we call him the Light of the World; it therefore seems most appropriate that we should celebrate his birth shortly after the winter solstice when we are beginning to have more light in our lives. Whether you believe that Jesus was the Son of God or not, there is no denying that he brought a most amazing message of light and love to the world:
John 8:12

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."






Images all from flickr, using search words: Light, new, spring.

What does Christmas time mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading people's comments on what I have written, but I am not in the business of debating, this blog is my space, so if you can't say something nice, the please, don't say anything at all. If you don't like what I have written then please don't read it.