Thursday 20 January 2011

Embarrassing things I have done Part 1

Before I begin my story let me remind you of that famous phrase "when in Rome (do as the Roman's do)"  made famous by the film of the same name, but originally inspired by St. Ambrose who said it (or something like it) after a trip to Rome in 387 A.D.  It means that when you are in a place you should try to do as they do so as not to stick out like a tourist.  Remember this phrase as it is intrinsic to the calamity the concludes my first embarrassing story.


I have just watched the lovely film Letters To Juliet, which if filmed in the beautiful country of Italy, it brought back happy memories from my honeymoon back in July 2009, the best and happiest holiday of my life where my new husband and I travelled round Italy from Venice, through Florence and the surrounding cities through to Rome.  On arrival in Rome we travelled to our self catering apartment and were let in by the owner, after handing over our money my husband shook hands with the man, and I, for some peculiar reason which I can only attribute to being overcome by the heat and wanting to feel a bit European, went in for a kiss, and said proudly "When in Spain!".


What a tool!  It wasn't till after he had left that I turned to my new husband and said to him "did I say When in Spain? I meant to say When in Rome!"


3 comments:

  1. haha, that is funny! :-) Did you like that film? I hated it! Shame as I love a good chick flick. I think it was the fake English accent of the chap! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that awful English accent, such a distraction. Plus didn't completely buy the idea that she was engaged to another guy and then just went off with the English bloke?!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading people's comments on what I have written, but I am not in the business of debating, this blog is my space, so if you can't say something nice, the please, don't say anything at all. If you don't like what I have written then please don't read it.