Sunday 2 January 2011

Pallet to DVD shelf tutorial

For Christmas I received this beautiful picture frame (another one from my Amazon Wish list):


It arrived from Amazon in this elaborate pallet:


After unscrewing the pallet to get the mirror out I had a few thoughts about what I could do with the left-over pieces of MDF that the pallet was made from, I considered using the pieces to make wall art with words on them like "Home sweet home" or "I love you" that sort of thing, I also thought about making little draws from them to store my craft things.  Then my clever husband suggested that we make the pallet into a DVD shelf as our current one was full to bursting. 
Here is how we did it:





And here is our finished shelving unit painted with white gloss paint:


You would never know it's humble beginnings would you?

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty nifty!! (and I love the directions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bethany, I wasn't sure if they were very clear or not, but I didn't want to make it too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely shelf...I made a turkey coop out of some wood scrap once. It is so satisfying to do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very clever! Found you through Pinterest. :) How is it holding up after about a year? What are the approx dimensions, if you don't mind me asking. Thinking this might be an affordable way to put shelves in the kiddos rooms.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      It's holding up pretty well actually, still in one piece although the shelves have started to bow a little in the middle, but I think this is more due to damp in the house than lack of stregnth in the shelf. The dimentions are 76 cm wide by 109cm high. The shelf depth is about 12cm.

      Delete

I love reading people's comments on what I have written, but I am not in the business of debating, this blog is my space, so if you can't say something nice, the please, don't say anything at all. If you don't like what I have written then please don't read it.